This project involved replacing the glazed roof and façade of the iconic 1960s Stirling & Gowan Leicester Engineering Building.
We were commissioned to provide building surveying services. The brief also included coordinating the design team, conducting preconstruction negotiations with the heritage authorities and producing an English Heritage Level 4 survey record.
The heritage aspect presented a challenge, overcome with the help of our in-house conservation architects, providing added value to the university. Our surveyors also had to work within a short timeframe. This was achieved through the use of point cloud laser scanning technology and producing a 3D Revit model of the existing structure.
- We used point cloud laser scanning to create fast, accurate scans.
- We produced a full 3D BIM model of the existing structure and proposals.
- We worked closely with English Heritage and the 20th Century Society.
- We coordinated a multidisciplinary team.
- We created a Level 4 Heritage record of the existing building.
Client: University of Leicester
Value: £7.5 million