Stanley, West Yorkshire, faced long-standing flooding problems affecting over 50 properties. Previous solutions hadn’t met the UK Water Regulator’s affordability criteria so we were commissioned to investigate the problem and design a solution.
We needed to protect 50 properties from sewer flooding, while meeting tight affordability criteria. This would involve on-site investigation, preparation of a business case and design of an innovative, effective solution.
We conducted hydraulic modelling of the sewer network. This identified the possibility of conveying excess flow to the Calder Waste Water Treatment Works, as well as to the River Calder via a pumping station. We commissioned river water quality modelling to confirm that this wouldn’t have a detrimental effect and obtained Environment Agency approval.
- We resolved a long-standing flooding problem.
- We mitigated pressure from residents, politicians and the UK Water Regulator.
- We delivered a cost-effective solution within OFWAT budget criteria.
- We saved the client £1.4m compared to traditional solutions.
- We maximised the use of the existing system, eliminating asset write-off and minimising the investment required in new assets.
Value: £4.3 million