St Martins House is a Grade II listed Victorian school building constructed in 1876. We conserved, converted and extended it into a new centre for the Leicester Diocese.
Leicester Diocese needed a new centre to house their offices as well as provide outreach programmes, community spaces, conference facilities and rentable offices. They wanted St Martins House to be a welcoming centre, sensitive to the historic building and its surroundings.
The Victorian building sits at the heart of the city’s heritage quarter, adjacent to Leicester Cathedral and the historic Guildhall, so its conversion had to be carried out respectfully.
We blended three new extensions with the existing building to provide a contemporary entrance while transforming the building and restoring its original features. We overcame complex level changes to improve disabled access, as well as installing heat recovery systems and insulation.
- We converted and extended a listed building in a sensitive location.
- We reinstated and conserved its original features.
- We improved accessibility and disabled facilities.
- We used innovative systems to reduce its carbon footprint.
Client: St Martins Cathedral Properties Ltd
Value: £3.3 million