The London Borough of Redbridge commissioned us to design a new primary school on the site of Loxford Secondary School, creating an all-through school with shared external spaces.
They asked us to consult with stakeholders before designing and implementing construction of the three-storey 4FE primary school. It needed to identify aesthetically with the secondary school, achieve BREEAM Very Good and be built with minimal impact on existing pupils and staff.
We designed the school with an efficient concrete frame, natural cross-ventilation, exposed thermal mass for night cooling, excellent pupil flow and flexible spaces. Light wells create natural daylight, while high-level play decks sit right outside classrooms. Working with the contractor, we also agreed a guaranteed maximum price and achievable programme of delivery.
- We created places for nearly 1,000 children.
- We achieved a BREEAM Very Good rating.
- We secured a B rated Energy Performance Certificate.
- We used Early Years landscape design and included a nursery.
- We incorporated air source heat pumps, photo-voltaic panels and solar hot water, so the school can generate 20% of its energy.
Client: Farrans Construction
Value: £8.5 million