As part of their campus development, Leicester Grammar School wanted to create quality sporting facilities within school grounds, removing the need to travel off site.
The client required facilities for sporting and physical activities, including games, dance, gymnastics, athletics, swimming and outdoor pursuits. They wanted flexible spaces which could generate revenue outside school hours, with cost-effective heating, cooling and ventilation.
We designed a sports building with a swimming pool and sports hall and a pavilion building with function space and changing rooms, plus outdoor pitches and playing surfaces.
For the buildings, we worked with the design and build contractor to provide a cost-effective steel frame, procured with the main academic building to minimise cost. The outdoor playing surface design influenced site-wide cut and fill, creating efficient earthworks early on.
- A 25m pool integrated with the site-wide heating system
- Two hockey pitches
- An all-weather rugby pitch with subsoil drainage
- A cricket pitch
- An acoustically insulated sports hall
- A pavilion building with changing rooms, function room and viewing balcony
- Outdoor tennis courts and pitches
Client: Leicester Grammar School
Value: £26 million