The Keppel Unit is a unique facility. The innovative design of this 48-bedroom high-dependency unit enables the YJB to provide a special level of care and support to vulnerable boys and young men aged 10 to 18.
The design challenge was to provide a new model of secure accommodation.
The sensitive design of domestic-scale spaces filled with daylight and appropriate use of colours and textures provides a calm and relaxing environment to deliver a challenging care programme.
This exemplary facility has been independently appraised and endorsed as a benchmark model in meeting similar challenges across the YJB estate.
- We achieved a BREEAM Excellent rating.
- This is the first innovative high-dependency unit of its kind within the YJB estate.
- We used high-quality concrete and brick wall prefabrication techniques sourced from the Netherlands.
- We considered security strategy, allowing for flexibility and adaptability over the building’s life.
- The project also includes a fishing training lake, vocational education and training workshop, as well as a farm and gardens.
Client: Youth Justice Board (YJB) / Ministry of Justice (MoJ)
Value: £16.2 million