HMP Wakefield is a Victorian, category A dispersal prison holding 720 prisoners. It was identified for an extensive security upgrade as a result of the Woodcock Enquiry.
We were commissioned for a seven-year comprehensive programme of phased refurbishment to upgrade security and build new education and therapy facilities. Modernisation included works to meet compliance with CPIG fire recommendations, building legislation and Ministry of Justice security standards. The works were completed within the constraints of the prison being fully operational.
The refurbishment has provided the Ministry of Justice with a superior, safe and secure facility for category A prisoners. The quality of the renewed living and working environment has been dramatically improved, with new facilities providing opportunities for increased prisoner education and rehabilitation.
- We fully refurbished all category A and B cells.
- We ensured that a proportion of the cells are accessible to less mobile prisoners.
- We improved the internal aesthetics and environmental building performance.
- We created new-build education and therapy facilities.
- We developed a close-supervision centre.
Client: Ministry of Justice