HMP Oakwood is the UK’s largest publicly funded prison, and this project highlights what can be achieved within a modern, category B, fully compliant prison.
Working within the constraints of a 50-acre site, the challenge was to create a high-quality living and working environment for 2,000 prisoners. This landmark new establishment consists of 17 separate BREEAM Excellent buildings and captures more than 10 years of design refinement.
A key factor in the success of the project was the collaborative ethos within the wider project team. This included the client team, our multidisciplinary design team, building contractor Kier and its key supply chain partners.
- We created 17 separate buildings awarded BREEAM Excellent.
- The project included 7km of 5.2m high-security fencing, 2,700 individual rooms and 220,000 tonnes of concrete.
- It involved 1,000 subcontractors and 10,000 inductions.
- Our designs made significant staffing efficiencies and reduced health and safety risks.
- We delivered ahead of time and within budget.
Client: Ministry of Justice
Value: £190 million