A 12ha former steelworks near Leicester was proposed as the location of a new industrial facility. Contaminated land investigations were undertaken to support the purchase of the site and subsequently to secure planning permission for a warehouse development.
- Determine the liabilities associated with land contamination prior to the purchase of the site.
- Produce an assessment of the risks from historical land contamination and devise an appropriate remedial solution.
- Produce reports to satisfy planning conditions related to land contamination.
- Two phases of ground investigation which identified heavy oil contamination beneath the site at several locations.
- Detailed assessment of the risks to human health and a nearby watercourse.
- Remedial options appraisal which determined an in-ground barrier as the most cost-effective solution.
- Complicated site due to the presence of several contamination sources and numerous below ground structures.
- An in-ground barrier at the site perimeter to protect the watercourse addressed the outstanding risks from all sources.
Client: Crown Crest